What your personal information is
Personal information is any information or an opinion (whether true or not) about you. It may range from the very sensitive (e.g. medical history or condition) to the everyday (e.g. address and phone number). It would include the opinions of others about your work performance (whether true or not), your work experience and qualifications, aptitude test results and other information obtained by us in connection with your possible work placements. Personal information includes sensitive information.
What sensitive information is
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about your:
- racial or ethnic origin;
- political opinion;
- membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs;
- membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union;
- sexual preferences or practices;
- criminal record;
health or disability (at any time);
- expressed wishes about the future provision of health services.
In accordance with other laws such as Anti-Discrimination or Diversity, we will only seek to collect sensitive information (for example health information or information about your racial or ethnic origin or any criminal record), if in our view it is necessary for our business purposes, and for the inherent requirements of the position.
Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent.
Who will be collecting your personal and sensitive information
Your personal and sensitive information will be collected by Manpower Outsourcing Foundation for its own use, to assist Manpower Outsourcing Foundation in determining suitability for placements.
How your information will be collected
Personal and sensitive information will be collected from you directly when you fill out and submit one of our registration forms or any other information in connection with your application to us for registration.
Personal and sensitive information will also be collected when:
- we receive any reference about you;
- we receive results of inquiries that we might make of your former employers, work colleagues, professional associations or registration body;
- we receive the results of any competency or medical test;
- we receive performance feedback (whether positive or negative);
- we receive any complaint from or about you in the workplace;
- we receive any information about a workplace accident in which you are involved;
- we receive any information about any insurance investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry in which you are involved;
- you provide us with any additional information about you.
Your information will be used.
Your personal and sensitive information may be used in connection with:
- your actual or possible work placement;
- performance appraisals, personal improvement and training initiatives and selection purposes;
- the performance of our master vendor relationships, on-site management services and outsourcing arrangements;
- any test or assessment (including medical tests and assessments) that you might be required to undergo;
- any workplace rehabilitation;
- our management of any business risks, investigation, resolution and defence of complaints and legal claims, compliance with court orders and other legal obligations and regulatory requirements;
- any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information;
- to tell you about other services that we may provide.
- to ask your opinion about our services;
- to advise you of opportunities you may be interested in.
Your personal and sensitive information may be disclosed to...
- potential and actual employers and clients of Manpower Outsourcing Foundation to whom we provide services;
- other member organizations of the Manpower Outsourcing Foundation;
- our insurers;
- a Workers Compensation body;
- our contractors, suppliers, sub-contractors and vendors whom perform services on our behalf;
- any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information;
- a professional association or registration body that has a proper interest in disclosing your personal and sensitive information.
Transfer of Personal Information
Your personal information may be transferred outside of New Zealand. In each case, Manpower Outsourcing Foundation has taken steps to ensure that all information transferred receives an adequate level of data protection.
If you do not give us the information we seek
- we may not be able to effectively process the information you provide to us;
- we may be limited in our ability to locate suitable work for you;
- we may be limited in our ability to place you in work
You can gain access to your information to correct it if it is wrong
There are some exceptions which are set out in the Privacy Act 1993. Principle 6 and Principle 7 (Access and Correction) provides you with the right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information about you that we hold.
If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may ask us to place with the information a statement by you that claims that particular information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If you wish to exercise your rights of access and correction, please contact the Data Privacy Officer using the details provided. In some cases we may impose a moderate charge for providing access to personal or sensitive information. We will not charge you simply because you lodge a request for access.
Storage and Security
We will store your personal information for a reasonable period of time necessary for us to provide services to you and for us to comply with our legal obligations.
At any time at your request, we will mark your personal information as inactive. We cannot destroy your information until we have passed the period required for us to comply with data retention legislation.
We will take reasonable steps to protect your information.
You will be given the opportunity to opt out of receiving communications from us by responding to the option to opt out in the relevant communication.
How to Contact Us
If you wish to contact us about your personal or sensitive information, to obtain further information or lodge a complaint, you should contact the Data Privacy Officer on:
Data Privacy Officer